Monday, 9 November 2015

Casual Done Right!

This sweater is from H&M last year, but they have very similar ones this year!

I've had some requests for more posts on casual dressing, and I'm more than happy to oblige.  Although I "dress up" for work, I'm a much more casual dresser on my off days, so let's talk about how to do it right!
By definition, casual means "clothes or shoes suitable for everyday wear rather than formal occasions."  It's important to remember that casual does not mean sloppy.  I think people get this confused all too often.  Casual means comfortable and functional, not messy, ill-fitting or dirty!  My outfit above is a classic example; its super comfy, easy to move in, and yet it looks good enough to be seen in public!
Layering leggings with longer flowy tops, is a great casual look.  Another option for effortless casual dressing is jeans!  Pair just about anything with jeans, and you're good.  And by "anything" I mean, anything that's clean, not wrinkled, fits well, and doesn't have rips or stains (not too much to ask for!).  Button-down tops with sleeves rolled up; sweaters; long cardigans layered over t-shirts... all great options with jeans.

Another thing to remember with casual dressing is that little details will go a long way.  For instance, my necklace and the faux-leather sleeves on my sweater add the right amount of edge to an otherwise basic look.  Make your casual outfits stand out by adding fun accessories (scarves, jewelry, hats, shoes) or choosing items with unexpected details (added fringe, faux leather accents, unusual prints or materials).
And of course, a casual dressing post would not be complete without talking about the much loved yoga pant!  There's no doubt, we all love our yoga pants, and of course there are times when you're gonna wear them out... just be pair them with a cute top and shoes, and even yoga pants can be a good choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment